Jowar cookies are a healthy alternative to cookies widely available in our neighborhood. As the name goes, these are made using Jowar Flour, also known as Sorghum Flour. Jowar is a gluten-free whole grain commonly used in a variety of culinary applications, especially in regions where it’s a staple food. These millet cookies are great in taste, and also healthy for your lifestyle.
Jowar Cookies can also be made easily at home. To make Jowar Cookies, you typically follow a similar process to making cookies but using Jowar flour as the primary ingredient.
- 1 Cup Jowar (Sorghum) Flour
- ¾ Cup Desiccated Coconut Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Pink Salt
- 3 tbsp Coconut Butter
- Coconut milk (as needed for forming dough)
- 3 tbsp Chopped Roasted Almonds
- 1 tbsp Chopped Pistachios (For Garnish)
- Date Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Jowar flour, desiccated coconut powder, baking powder, unrefined salt, and coconut butter. Mix well until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add date syrup and coconut milk while mixing to form a semi-soft dough. Adjust the amount of coconut milk to achieve the right dough consistency.
- Fold the chopped roasted almonds into the dough.
- Divide the dough into equal-sized balls (around 18-20 balls).
- Lightly flatten each ball using your palm to form cookie shapes.
- Create a design for the cookies using a fork or a toothpick.
- Place a piece of chopped pistachio in the center of each cookie and lightly press it in.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for 20-25 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
These cookies are a healthier alternative to traditional cookies, especially for those looking for gluten-free, sugar-free, and lactose alternatives. It’s also a convenient choice if you want to incorporate more whole grains into your diet. You can also experiment with flavors by adding spices like cinnamon or cardamom, or even using alternative sweeteners like honey or maple syrup. Enjoy your homemade Jowar cookies and we hope that you enjoy the DIY assignment and treat your tooth with healthy sweetness.